Wednesday, September 9, 2009

abroad anxiety

Right now I am sort of freaking out about going abroad. This just added to it (from a blog I read):
Anyone who's spent much time in the British isles knows about the ingrained prejudice against hard-g "gingers," much of which surely dates from age-old racially-motivated distrust of Irish and Scottish immigrants, amongst whom red hair is more common. I remember when I lived there how utterly bizarre I found remarks like, "Lily Cole'd be pretty - if she wasn't ginger," or "I stood over his crib for hours just praying his hair wouldn't go ginger." What the hell? In 2007, the BBC addressed the issue with the headline, "Is Gingerism As Bad As Racism?"
Like, really? I will be a hated minority? Bo dropped out of the London program, citing the "opportiunity cost" of going abroad. For the past few weeks, I have been feeling the same way - that what I will miss out on will not be made up for by my experience in London. If I didn't think Dr. Phillips would hate me, I would also drop out, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment